We at EISNERAMPER PAC (“EAPAC”) take our responsibilities under Singapore’s Personal Data Protection Act 2012 (the “PDPA”) seriously. We also recognize the importance of the personal data you have entrusted to us and believe that it is our responsibility to properly manage, protect and process your personal data.
This Data Protection Policy is designed to assist you in understanding how we collect, use, disclose and/or process the personal data you have provided to us, as well as to assist you in making an informed decision before providing us with any of your personal data.
1. INTRODUCTION TO THE PDPA
- 1.1 “Personal Data” is defined under the PDPA to mean data, whether true or not, about an individual who can be identified from that data, or from that data and other information to which an organization has or is likely to have access. Common examples of personal data could include names, identification numbers, contact information, medical records, photographs and video images.
- 1.2 We will collect your personal data in accordance with the PDPA. We will notify you of the purposes for which your personal data may be collected, used, disclosed and/or processed, as well as obtain your consent for the collection, use, disclosure and/or processing of your personal data for the intended purposes, unless an exception under the law permits us to collect and process your personal data without your consent.
2. PURPOSES FOR COLLECTION, USE, DISCLOSURE AND PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA
- 2.1 The personal data which we collect from you may be collected, used, disclosed and/or processed for various purposes, depending on the circumstances for which we may/will need to process your personal data, including:
- a) processing your enquiries and the provision of audit assurance and tax services
- b) administering and/or managing your relationship with EAPAC;
- c) carrying out your instructions or responding to any enquiries by you;
- d) carrying out due diligence or other screening activities (including background checks) in accordance with legal or regulatory obligations or risk management procedures (including but not limited to those designed to combat financial crime, “know-your customer”, anti-money laundering, counter-terrorist financing or anti-bribery), that may be required by law or that may have been put in place by the Bank;
- e) dealing in any matters relating to the services which you are entitled to under this Agreement (including the printing and mailing of correspondence, statements, invoices, confirmations, advices, information, reports or notices to you, which could involve disclosure of certain personal data about you to bring about delivery of the same as well as on the external cover of envelopes/mail packages);
- f) the recovery of any and all amounts owed to the EAPAC;
- g) the process of reviewing and approving the application, and the conduct of initial and anticipatory background checks and assessments, relevant checks, ongoing assessment and verification of ongoing credit worthiness and standing;
- h) preventing, detecting and investigating fraud, misconduct, any unlawful action or omission, whether relating to your application or any other matter relating to your account(s), and whether or not there is any suspicion of the aforementioned;
- i) managing EAPAC’s infrastructure and business operations, and complying with policies and procedures that may be required by law or that may have been put in place by EAPAC, including those relating to auditing, finance and accounting, billing and collections IT systems, data and website hosting, training, testing, business continuity, and records, document and print management;
- j) complying with applicable law in administering and managing your relationship with the EAPAC;
- k) any other purposes which we notify you of at the time of obtaining your consent. (collectively, the “Purposes”)
As the purposes for which we may/will collect, use, disclose or process your personal data depend on thecircumstances at hand, such purpose may not appear above. However, we will notify you of such other purpose at the time of obtaining your consent, unless processing of your personal data without your consent is permitted by the PDPA or by law.
- 2.2 In order to conduct our business operations more smoothly, we may also be disclosing the personal data you have provided to us to our third party service providers, agents and/or our affiliates or related corporations, and/or other third parties whether sited in Singapore or outside of Singapore, for one or more of the above-stated Purposes. Such third party service providers, agents and/or affiliates or related corporations and/or other third parties would be processing your personal data either on our behalf or otherwise, for one or more of the above-stated Purposes.
3. SPECIFIC ISSUES FOR THE DISCLOSURE OF PERSONAL DATA TO THIRD PARTIES
- 3.1 We respect the confidentiality of the personal data you have provided to us.
- 3.2 In that regard, we will not disclose your personal data to third parties without first obtaining your consent permitting us to do so. However, please note that we may disclose your personal data to third parties without first obtaining your consent in certain situations, including, without limitation, the following:
- a) cases in which the disclosure is required or authorized based on the applicable laws and/or regulations;
- b) cases in which the purpose of such disclosure is clearly in your interests, and if consent cannot be obtained in a timely way;
- c) cases in which the disclosure is necessary to respond to an emergency that threatens the life, health or safety of yourself or another individual;
- d) cases in which the disclosure is necessary for any investigation or proceedings;
- e) cases in which the personal data is disclosed to any officer of a prescribed law enforcement agency, upon production of written authorization signed by the head or director of that law enforcement agency or a person of a similar rank, certifying that the personal data is necessary for the purposes of the functions or duties of the officer;
- f) cases in which the disclosure is to a public agency and such disclosure is necessary in the public interest; and/or
- g) where such disclosure without your consent is permitted by the PDPA or by law.
- 3.3 The instances listed above at paragraph 3.2 are not intended to be exhaustive. For more information on the exceptions, you are encouraged to peruse the Second, Third and Fourth Schedules of the PDPA which is publicly available at http://statutes.agc.gov.sg.
- 3.4 Where we disclose your personal data to third parties with your consent, we will employ our best efforts to require such third parties to protect your personal data.
4. REQUEST FOR ACCESS AND/OR CORRECTION OF PERSONAL DATA
- 4.2 For a request to correct personal data, we will:
- a) correct your personal data as soon as practicable after the request has been made unless we have reasonable grounds not to do so; and
- b) subject to paragraph 4.3, we will send the corrected personal data to every other organization to which the personal data was disclosed by EAPAC within a year before the date the correction was made, unless that other organization does not need the corrected personal data for any legal or business purpose.
- 4.3Notwithstanding paragraph 4.2(b), we may, if you so consent, send the corrected personal data only to specific organizations to which the personal data was disclosed by us within a year before the date the correction was made.
- 4.4 We will also be charging you a reasonable fee for the handling and processing of your requests to access your personal data. We will provide you with a written estimate of the fee we will be charging. Please note that we are not required to respond to or deal with your access request unless you have agreed to pay the fee.
5. REQUEST TO WITHDRAW CONSENT
- 5.2 We will process your request from such a request for withdrawal of consent being made, and will thereafter not collect, use and/or disclose your personal data in the manner stated in your request.
- 5.3 However, your withdrawal of consent could result in certain legal consequences arising from such withdrawal. In this regard, depending on the extent of your withdrawal of consent for us to process your personal data, it may mean that we will not be able to continue with your existing relationship with us.
6. ADMINISTRATION AND MANAGEMENT OF PERSONAL DATA
- 6.1 We will take reasonable efforts to ensure that your personal data is accurate and complete, if your personal data is likely to be used by EAPAC to make a decision that affects you, or disclosed to another organization. However, this means that you must also update us of any changes in your personal data that you had initially provided us with. We will not be responsible for relying on inaccurate or incomplete personal data arising from you not updating us of any changes in your personal data that you had initially provided us with.
- 6.2 We will also put in place reasonable security arrangements to ensure that your personal data is adequately protected and secured. Appropriate security arrangements will be taken to prevent any unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure, copying, modification, leakage, loss, damage and/or alteration of your personal data. However, we cannot assume responsibility for any unauthorized use of your personal data by third parties which are wholly attributable to factors beyond our control.
- 6.3 We retain personal data in accordance with legal, regulatory, business and operational obligations.
- 6.4 Where your personal data is to be transferred out of Singapore, we will comply with the PDPA in doing so. In this regard, this includes us obtaining your consent unless an exception under the PDPA or law applies, and taking appropriate steps to ascertain that the foreign recipient organization of the personal data is bound by legally enforceable obligations to provide to the transferred personal data a standard of protection that is at least comparable to the protection under the Act. This may include us entering into an appropriate contract with the foreign recipient organization dealing with the personal data transfer or permitting the personal data transfer without such a contract if the PDPA or law permits us to.
7. COMPLAINT PROCESS
- 7.1 If you have any complaint or grievance regarding about how we are handling your personal data or about how we are complying with the PDPA, we welcome you to contact us with your complaint or grievance.
- 7.2 Please contact us through one of the following methods with your complaint or grievance:
- a) Singapore telephone number: +65 6305 9900
- c) Office address: EISNERAMPER PAC
1 North Bridge Road #23-05 High Street Centre Singapore 179094
Attention it to the ‘Data Protection Officer’
- 7.3 Where it is an email or a letter through which you are submitting a complaint, your indication at the subject header that it is a PDPA complaint would assist us in attending to your complaint speedily by passing it on to the relevant staff in our organization to handle. For example, you could insert the subject header as “PDPA Complaint”.
- 7.4 We will certainly strive to deal with any complaint or grievance that you may have speedily and fairly.
8. UPDATES ON DATA PROTECTION POLICY
- 8.1 As part of our efforts to ensure that we properly manage, protect and process your personal data, we will be reviewing our policies, procedures and processes from time to time.
- 8.2 We reserve the right to amend the terms of this Data Protection Policy at our absolute discretion. Any amended Data Protection Policy will be posted on our website and can be viewed at http://www.eisneramper.com.sg/
- 8.3 You are encouraged to visit the above website from time to time to ensure that you are well informed of our latest policies in relation to personal data protection.